- Tamim Iqbal, Mahmudullah and Mohammad Mithun have all hit scores of over 70 in ODIs this year. Tamim Iqbal with the highest knock of 78 in Christchurch in March. With the ball, Mustafizur Rahman has played in all six ODIs and leads the dismissals with 9 wickets.
- Sri Lanka are also yet to see a batsman make a three figure score in ODIs in 2021. Danushka Gunathilaka got closest with a score of 96 in Antigua, he averaged a healthy 62.33 against West Indies. With the ball, Dusmantha Chameera took 2 wickets against the West Indies but most of the Sri Lanka bowling attack struggled over there.
- This series will pit the captaincy of Tamim Iqbal for Bangladesh, who has done the job in their last nine ODIs, against Kusal Perera who has never done the job before for Sri Lanka.
Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka 1st ODI Prediction & Betting Tips
Bangladesh and Sri Lanka meet in the first of three ODIs in Mirpur on Sunday. The hosts have played two ODI series already this year, winning 3-0 at home against West Indies before losing 3-0 in New Zealand. Sri Lanka also went down 3-0 in their only ODI series in 2021, returning empty-handed from the Caribbean. Read on as we preview this ODI. The game will get underway at 13:00 local time.
Bangladesh will come into this series expecting to win in spite of their 3-0 reverse in New Zealand. They have never won a game in any form against the Black Caps in New Zealand and will be far happier in home conditions. Indeed, they won convincingly in all three home ODIs against West Indies.
Sri Lanka will be far more comfortable in the conditions in Mirpur compared to those they faced in Antigua earlier in the year. They also beat Bangladesh 3-0 in the last ODI series between the sides in 2019 which came after their 2019 World Cup meeting in Bristol was abandoned.
Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka Live Streaming
Live Streaming: Fans in India can stream the match on FanCode.
Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka Match Toss Prediction
Batting second tends to be the preferred method of attack in limited overs games in Bangladesh. Sri Lanka batted first in all three defeats against West Indies so may well be looking for a new approach.
Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka Match Pitch Report
West Indies were well beaten on both occasions in Mirpur in the ODIs earlier in the year. Expect the pitch to be responsive to spinners but provide good value for batsmen who get in.
High of 33 with some cloud cover in Mirpur throughout Sunday
Bangladesh Team News & Playing 11
BAN Team News
This series represents an excellent opportunity for Bangladesh to get back to their impressive white ball form which we saw against West Indies earlier in the year. The return of Shakib Al Hasan will be a huge boost after he missed the New Zealand tour due to paternity leave.
BAN Key Players
- Tamim Iqbal – Bangladesh’s highest run scorer across all three forms has 13 hundreds and 50 half-centuries to his name in ODIs. The Captain will be leading from the front at the top of the order.
- Shakib Al Hasan – An exceptional all-rounder who currently tops the ICC ODI rankings by a substantial distance from Ben Stokes in second place. His return will make a difference for Bangladesh.
- Mustafizur Rahman – since his debut in 2015, the left-arm pace bowler has 118 wickets in ODIs. He comes into this series after an enforced quarantine period due to the postponement of the 2021 IPL.
BAN Team Form
Bangladesh have either won or lost their last four ODI series 3-0 with wins against West Indies and Zimbabwe at home and defeats against New Zealand and Sri Lanka away. Their home form is strong.
Bangladesh Predicted Playing 11
Tamim Iqbal (c) , Liton Das, Shakib Al Hasan, Mohammad Mithun, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mahmudullah, Soumya Sarkar, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Mahedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman
Sri Lanka Team News & Playing 11
SL Team News
After successive series at home and away against West Indies, you have to go all the way back to October 2019 to find Sri Lanka playing an ODI against someone else. Their last ODI away win in a bilateral series came in Bangladesh in 2018.
SL Key Players
- Danushka Gunathilaka – one of the few Sri Lanka player to emerge from the West Indies tour with any credit. He scored 183 runs in the ODI series and also took a wicket.
- Kusal Perera – with captaincy comes responsibility and Perera will be expected to add to his 5 ODI centuries at some point in this series. Very experienced, he has 96 ODI caps
- Kusal Mendis – Perera’s deputy in this series will be Mendis who also brings bags of experience and 76 ODI caps. So far he has hit 17 half-centuries and 2 centuries in this format.
SL Team Form
Sri Lanka’s away form has been very poor for a number of years but they should find the conditions in Bangladesh similar to those at home. They arrive in this series off the back of a 3-0 defeat against West Indies.
Sri Lanka Predicted Playing 11
Danushka Gunathilaka, Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera (c) (wk), Kusal Mendis, Dasun Shanaka, Ashen Bandara, Isuru Udana, Wanindu Hasaranga, Lakshan Sandakan, Asith Fernando, Shiran Fernando
BAN vs SL
Chance of Winning
Bangladesh are favourites to win